Fire Rating and Moisture
All Genesis ceiling tiles have a ‘Class A’ FSI and SDI fire rating…
All Genesis ceiling tiles have a ‘Class A’ FSI and SDI fire rating per ASTM E84.
Our tiles are rated for surface burning characteristics, flame spread, and smoke development.
Significance and Use
- 4.1 This test method is intended to provide only comparative measurements of surface flame spread and smoke density measurements with that of select grade red oak and fiber-cement board surfaces under the specific fire exposure conditions described herein.
- 4.2 This test method exposes a nominal 24-ft (7.32-m) long by 20-in. (508-mm) wide specimen to a controlled air flow and flaming fire exposure adjusted to spread the flame along the entire length of the select grade red oak specimen in 51/2 min.
- 4.3 This test method does not provide for the following:
- 4.3.1 Measurement of heat transmission through the tested surface.
- 4.3.2 The effect of aggravated flame spread behavior of an assembly resulting from the proximity of combustible walls and ceilings.
- 4.3.3 Classifying or defining a material as noncombustible, by means of a flame spread index by itself.
- 1.1 This fire-test–response standard for the comparative surface burning behavior of building materials is applicable to exposed surfaces such as walls and ceilings. The test is conducted with the specimen in the ceiling position with the surface to be evaluated exposed face down to the ignition source. The material, product, or assembly shall be capable of being mounted in the test position during the test. Thus, the specimen shall either be self-supporting by its own structural quality, held in place by added supports along the test surface, or secured from the back side.
- 1.2 The purpose of this test method is to determine the relative burning behavior of the material by observing the flame spread along the specimen. Flame spread and smoke developed index are reported. However, there is not necessarily a relationship between these two measurements.
- 1.3 The use of supporting materials on the underside of the test specimen has the ability to lower the flame spread index from those which might be obtained if the specimen could be tested without such support. These test results do not necessarily relate to indices obtained by testing materials without such support.
- 1.4 Testing of materials that melt, drip, or delaminate to such a degree that the continuity of the flame front is destroyed, results in low flame spread indices that do not relate directly to indices obtained by testing materials that remain in place.
- 1.5 The values stated in inch-pound units are to be regarded as standard. The values given in parentheses are mathematical conversions to SI units that are provided for information only and are not considered standard.
- 1.6 The text of this standard references notes and footnotes that provide explanatory information. These notes and footnotes, excluding those in tables and figures, shall not be considered as requirements of the standard.
- 1.7 This standard is used to measure and describe the response of materials, products, or assemblies to heat and flame under controlled conditions, but does not by itself incorporate all factors required for fire-hazard or fire-risk assessment of the materials, products, or assemblies under actual fire conditions.
- 1.8 This standard does not purport to address all of the safety concerns, if any, associated with its use. It is the responsibility of the user of this standard to establish appropriate safety and health practices and determine the applicability of regulatory limitations prior to use.
- 1.9 Fire testing is inherently hazardous. Adequate safeguards for personnel and property shall be employed in conducting these tests.
Genesis ceiling tiles are waterproof. Our panels are guaranteed not to water-stain, bow, swell or rot. They are ideal for use in moist and humid environments like basements.
Mold & Mildew Resistant
Genesis ceiling tiles are constructed from materials that inhibit mold and mildew. This means our panels can be installed in a variety of environments where moisture is a concern. They are manufactured from PVC with a smooth or decorative, embossed surface texture. PVC panels solve the problems of water damage and mold or mildew that are traditionally experienced with fiber-based lay-in panels.
- No water stains, no moisture-related sagging, no rot
- Mold and mildew resistant
- Nonporous, nonabsorbent
- Hygienic, easy to clean, easy to disinfect
FDA & Safety
Our rigid PVC tiles comply with FDA and USDA regulations…
Our rigid PVC tiles comply with FDA and USDA regulations for use in food preparation and serving areas. This means that our tiles can be installed in areas where sanitation and cleanliness is a must. Though the USDA, State Health Department, and FDA do not approve specific products for ceiling use, they do supply an outline of requirements that must be met by any ceiling tile installed in areas where food is prepared. Genesis Ceiling Tiles are fully compliant with USDA, State Health Department, and FDA requirements. Genesis tiles are also compliant with the Canadian Food Inspection Agency
FDA Food Code: Chapter 6 – Physical Facilities
6-101.11 Surface Characteristics
- Except as specified in (B.) of this section, materials for indoor floor, wall, and ceiling surfaces under conditions of normal use shall be:
- SMOOTH, durable, and EASILY CLEANABLE for areas where FOOD ESTABLISHMENT operations are conducted;
- Closely woven and EASILY CLEANABLE carpet for carpeted areas; and
- Nonabsorbent for areas subject to moisture such as FOOD preparation areas, walk-in refrigerators, WAREWASHING areas, toilet rooms, mobile FOOD ESTABLISHMENT SERVICING AREAS, and areas subject to flushing or spray cleaning methods.
- In a TEMPORARY FOOD ESTABLISHMENT:
- If graded to drain, a floor may be concrete, machine-laid asphalt, or dirt or gravel if it is covered with mats, removable platforms, duckboards, or other APPROVED materials that are effectively treated to control dust and mud; and
- Walls and ceilings may be constructed of a material that protects the interior from the weather and wind-blown dust and debris.
6-201.11 Floors, Walls, and Ceilings
- Except as specified under § 6-201.14 and except for anti-slip floor coverings or applications that may be used for safety reasons, floors, floor coverings, walls, wall coverings, and ceilings shall be designed, constructed, and installed so they are SMOOTH and EASILY CLEANABLE.
6-201.12 Floors, Walls, and Ceilings, Utility Lines
- Utility service lines and pipes may not be unnecessarily exposed.
- Exposed utility service lines and pipes shall be installed so they do not obstruct or prevent cleaning of the floors, walls, or ceilings.
- Exposed horizontal utility service lines and pipes may not be installed on the floor.
USDA Electronic Code of Federal Regulations: Title 21 – Food and Drugs
§ 110.20 Plant and Grounds
- Plant construction and design. Plant buildings and structures shall be suitable in size, construction, and design to facilitate maintenance and sanitary operations for food-manufacturing purposes. The plant and facilities shall:
- Be constructed in such a manner that floors, walls, and ceilings may be adequately cleaned and kept clean and kept in good repair; that drip or condensate from fixtures, ducts and pipes does not contaminate food, food-contact surfaces, or food-packaging materials; and that aisles or working spaces are provided between equipment and walls and are adequately unobstructed and of adequate width to permit employees to perform their duties and to protect against contaminating food or food-contact surfaces with clothing or personal contact.
- Provide adequate lighting in hand-washing areas, dressing and locker rooms, and toilet rooms and in all areas where food is examined, processed, or stored and where equipment or utensils are cleaned; and provide safety-type light bulbs, fixtures, skylights, or other glass suspended over exposed food in any step of preparation or otherwise protect against food contamination in case of glass breakage.
Return on Investment is important to every business, especially…
Return on Investment is important to every business, especially in today’s lean economy.
Due to the nature of mineral board ceiling tiles being vulnerable to water and humidity in a variety of facility environments, mineral board tiles need to be replaced frequently due to water damage and staining. The average facility completely replaces mineral board tiles about every five years due to water damage and staining.
The investment in mineral board ceiling tiles therefore becomes ongoing, both in terms of materials and labor costs. With Genesis tiles, not only will you never have to replace the tiles again due to water damage and staining, but you will realize a significant savings over time. Costs shown in the graph below include labor.
You can pay for a quality solution now and realize an ongoing return on your investment, or you can continue paying for ceiling tiles year after year.
Indoor Air Quality
We are dedicated to indoor air quality.
We are dedicated to indoor air quality. Over the last several years, much attention has been focused on air pollution. Until recently, few scientists paid much attention to the quality of air within homes and other buildings, even though U.S. government research indicates that people spend approximately 90% of their time indoors.
In many cases, the air within buildings can actually be more polluted than the air outside. Given the amount of time most people spend inside, the potential exists for a health related disaster.
Causes of Indoor Pollutants
Poor indoor air quality can be caused by asbestos, formaldehyde, household cleaning chemicals, lead, nitrogen dioxide, radon, tobacco smoke, breathable particles and biological pollutants like bacteria, mold, mildew and fungus.
Part of the Solution
Our Genesis Panels emit no volatile organic chemicals (VOCs) including formaldehyde, respirable particles, ozone, carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxide, and carbon dioxide. See this VOC and Offgassing Report about our products.
As the manufacturer of Genesis Ceiling Tiles, we recognize that…
As the manufacturer of Genesis Ceiling Tiles, we recognize that preserving natural resources by minimizing adverse environmental impacts is vital, and we are committed to providing all of our customers with high quality, environmentally friendly products. We have a longstanding commitment to conserving natural resources and protecting the health and well being of our customers.
Energy and Atmosphere
EA Prerequisite 2: Minimum Energy Performance
To establish the minimum level of energy efficiency for the proposed building and systems to reduce environmental and economic impacts associated with excessive energy use.
With an average Light Reflectance Rating of 83%, Genesis maintenance-free ceiling panels can help to achieve the Minimum Energy Performance required by the LEED rating system. When properly utilized with efficient and individually controllable lighting, Genesis maintenance-free ceiling panel’s above average Light Reflectance Rating can enhance the efficiency of a building-wide lighting scheme.
Materials and Resources
Indoor Environmental Quality
You may see a warning on this product regarding California’s Proposition 65…
You may see a warning on this product regarding California’s Proposition 65, the Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act of 1986. It is intended to help Californians make informed decisions about protecting themselves from chemicals known to cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm. The Proposition requires the state to maintain and update a list of chemicals known to the state to cause cancer or reproductive toxicity.
Proposition 65 is designed to inform consumers. This is not the same as a regulatory decision that a product is “safe” or “unsafe.” Our products emit no volatile organic compounds (VOC’s) and are in no way harmful if the product is used for its intended purpose. At ACP, customer satisfaction is our number one priority and we will be happy to provide any additional information, technical specs or data you may need on any of our products.